|Maryland Eggnog (1889)
Recipe Type: Beverage
Mrs. Justice Field was a Maryland girl, and she gives a recipe that speaks of the old days of hospitality. It is egg-nogg, or the “greeting cup,” and in Maryland and Virginia houses, is sent around Christmas morning to every room before breakfast.
- 1 gallon of milk
- 1 dozen eggs
- 15 tablespoonfuls of sugar
- 1 grated nutmeg
- 1 pint of brandy
- 1 pint of Jamaica rum
- Divide the yolks from the whites and beat them.
- Beat the yolks and sugar until light.
- Add the brandy and rum, stirring constantly.
- Last of all, put in one gallon of milk or cream, and cover with the beaten whites of the eggs.
You might also like...