How to make a Yule Cake
|Yule Cake (1904)||
- 2-1/2 cups butter
- 3 cups of sugar
- 10 eggs
- 4 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoonful of baking powder
- 4 cupfuls of currants (washed and dried)
- 1/2 cup shredded citron
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 gill brandy
- Rub to a light, white cream two cups and a half of butter and three cups of sugar.
- Add ten eggs, two at a time, beating five minutes between each addition.
- Sift four cups of flour three times over with a teaspoonful of baking powder, and add to the sugar, butter and eggs.
- When well-mixed, add four cupfuls of currants (washed and dried), half a cup of shredded citron, a teaspoonful each of nutmeg and cloves, and a gill of brandy.
- Mix and pour into a paper-lined tin also well protected with paper outside, and bake two and a half hours in a moderate oven.
You might also like...
Publication: The Citizen - Berea, Kentucky
Publication date: 17 November 1904