|Marshmallow cake (1909)||
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 3 rounded teaspoons baking powder
- Combine all ingredients, sifting the flour with the baking powder.
- Bake in three thick, or four thin, layers.
- For the filling, put one half pound of marshmallow candies on an agate dish and place in an open oven until they have melted and run together.
- In the meantime, make a boiled icing with one cupful of granulated sugar and one-third cupful of hot water, boiling together until the syrup hairs.
- Then pour this syrup over the stiffly-beaten white of one egg; add the melted marshmallows and beat slowly for five minutes.
- Spread this between the layers and on the top.
- For the top layer, put a number of marshmallows on a skewer and hold over the open fire until they puff up and begin to brown, then quickly place them round the edge of the cake.
You might also like...
Publication: The Commoner (Lincoln, Neb.)
Publication date: December 24, 1909
Original title: The Home Department